World Language Proficiency Project
Light breakfast and coffee provided.
Please bring your own lunch. Going off-campus for lunch is not encouraged, as we have a jam-packed schedule of learning experiences scheduled for your growth.
World Language Proficiency Project Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills Institute
Welcome to a week of intense growth for you in your skills as a proficiency-oriented language teacher! We offer a packed schedule that immerses you in experiences, ideas, and practice, to equip you with skills and a plan for how to start your school year focused on proficiency for your students. You will receive a resource binder with lesson plans, assessment resources, rubrics, and coaching guides to launch your teaching practice into higher orbit this fall. Please be prepared to work hard, take lots of notes, and live, eat, and breathe proficiency-oriented teaching this week!
Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) Institute: For teachers of first- and second-year classes, or third-year and higher classes who have not yet been immersed in a proficiency-oriented program in their first two years. Learn a system for building student-driven characters and stories, develop literacy, and incorporate students' interests and lives into the classroom. Learn a system for authentic assessment, how to assemble portfolios of student work to document progress, and how to use rubrics and learning progressions to help your students develop skills, habits, and proficiencies that guide them to higher language ability.
* Parent Communication - Back to School Night, Parent-Teacher Conferences
* Classroom Management
* Proficiency Levels Typical of comprehension-Taught Students in the First Two Years
* How to Address Required Grammar
* Formative Assessments and Grading, Rubrics
* Summative Assessments and Grading, Rubrics, Portfolios
* Learning Objectives and Backwards Design
* The Create, Review, Write, Read, Extend sequence of instruction (the backbone of your instructional planning for the year)
* Visual Storytelling and Visual Lectures
* Beginning the Year
* Literacy - Reading and Writing Strategies